Thursday, June 5, 2008

June 4, 2008

Granulation tissue appearing. There has been some in the past, but it is raised a bit and before it seemed flush with the rest of the leg.

There was a small amount of blood when I picked off a dead bit of scabby skin. It stopped very quickly.
She still, understandably, favors the leg when standing. I think it's habit at this point. She doesn't seem to be in pain at all. It's uncomfortable for her when I pick at it too much (my bad), but she certainly hasn't been cranky about it in any way.
I forgot the bands, but did braid her mane!
These scratches are interesting to me. I don't know what they're from. When I noticed them a week or two ago, I thought my irritable mare, Pie, had raked her with her teeth. Upon closer inspection, I don't know how that could be possible. Pie's teeth wouldn't make those kinds of marks, spaced that way and that skinny. Plus, she kind of likes Dani.

They look like a cat. Too big for my barn kitties (like they would ever attempt a horse, though they are prolific hunters). Too small for anything but the most adolescent of cougars. One was spotted in our neighborhood last year. He/she could still be around, and that would be like a cat to target the "lame" one.

Bobcat? Could be. Thoughts? It's only on the left side, but we were thinking it could be that the cat jumped on her back and tried to grab around her but couldn't reach both sides. She did have some minor scratching higher up on her rump on the off side. Nothing that looks like these though.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Dunno Lisa. I don't have much practice here w/cougars.

I think I'll stay on LI :)

But I'm here, and I'll check back !!

Go Dani !!

ljbrooks said...

Hah! But there is so much else going on for you East Coasters. I've never even, personally, seen a cougar except in the zoo. ;-)