Saturday, August 29, 2009

Holding weight and looking good

Dani has had some issues with keeping weight on. She gains weight fairly easily, but if I try to wean her off the grain or put her in with more than one other horse to eat with, she loses weight. She's definitely not the Alpha mare, so gets moved around alot during feeding time. Even with plenty of piles and places to eat, Pie and Ilo want ALL the piles to themselves. So, Dani has been eating with Chavez. He likes her and they are similiar in age and position within the herd.

A couple of goofy pictures. I was actually taking pics of Chavez as it was something of a miracle that he allowed me to put a fly mask on him. Dani was so cute and inquisitive that I had to take some of her too. (She's on the far side in the pic of two horses.)

Flies love her, much to her chagrin, so she's been wearing a fly sheet as well. Seemed to really help. I took it off last night when I turned her out with her buddies for roll in the pasture and the flies were immediately on her, despite almost dipping her in fly spray.

No comments: